Wolfson/Theatres Trust Urgent Repairs Scheme
The Wolfson/Theatres Trust Urgent Repairs Scheme is a capital fund that awards grants of up to £15,000 to architecturally significant theatres in need of immediate repair and maintenance, and which could otherwise face closure.
Please note this scheme is currently closed to applications.
Both organisations are aware of the challenges facing theatres today and how difficult it is to maintain even a preventative maintenance programme. This leaves theatres vulnerable when unforeseen issues arise, such as weather damage or the need to undertake works to suspended fibrous plaster ceilings following the introduction of a more rigorous inspection regime.
Priority will be given to projects that deliver urgent building repairs, and which can demonstrate that without such repairs the viability of the theatre and its future as a place presenting live work to audiences is at risk. Organisations should demonstrate how the theatre achieves excellence through its producing and programming or architectural significance. The scheme will not fund repairs to equipment, fixtures and fittings and plant, except where a major failure is proving a significant risk to the theatre’s continued operation.
Projects which are in receipt of other awards from Theatres Trust or the Wolfson Foundation will not be eligible.
The Wolfson Foundation support our Urgent Repairs Scheme.
Who can apply
To be eligible to apply to the scheme, applicants must demonstrate that they:
- own or manage theatres with titles or signed leases of more than 15 years on buildings in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- run a year-round programme of live performance, of no less than 30 performances a year
- have a bona fide UK charitable or not-for-profit legal structure and be able to provide certified or audited accounts for at least two years
- operate theatres that are statutory listed or which are otherwise of architectural significance
- operate theatres that achieve excellence through their producing and programming or architectural significance
For further information about eligibility and the terms and conditions for this funding please review the Terms and Conditions.
How to apply
This scheme is currently closed to applications.
Theatres throughout the UK – both large and small – play an important role in the cultural enrichment of society. By enabling urgent repairs to theatres at risk, we hope to improve the sustainability of these organisations and promote opportunities for excellence in the sector.
Paul Ramsbottom, Chief Executive of the Wolfson Foundation