Theatres Trust | Conference 17: Theatres & Placemaking
Placemaking is at the heart of building thriving communities and promoting wellbeing. It is a well-established concept and an important principle guiding the work of planners, developers and architects and, increasingly, the culture sector.
Conference 17: Theatres & Placemaking will bring together theatre operators, local authorities, planners, developers and architects to explore the role of theatres and wider cultural infrastructure within placemaking.
There will be inspiring case studies and opportunities to debate a range of topics, including: the contribution of theatre buildings to regeneration, economic growth and wellbeing; local authorities championing theatre buildings and wider cultural provision in their plans; encouraging and supporting local communities to value and protect their local theatre and to take an active role in cultural planning; how to design and run our theatres as democratic, inclusive environments to foster a sense of ownership and civic pride and how planners, developers and theatres can work together to ensure excellent cultural infrastructure.
Programme & Sessions
Registration 8.45am | Opening Address 9.30am | Post Conference Reception 5pm | Carriages 7pm
- What does placemaking mean and how do theatres contribute?
- The role of local authorities in championing theatres and wider cultural infrastructure in their plans
- Communities engaging with local planning and protecting theatres
- Architects and theatre operators designing and managing democratic and inclusive theatres for the community
- The Future – How can planners, developers, architects, theatres and communities work together to embed the value of theatres in excellent placemaking?
Contributors secured to date
- Richard Blyth, Head of Policy, Royal Town Planning Institute
- David Byrne, Artistic and Executive Director, New Diorama Theatre
- Damian Cruden, Artistic Director, York Theatre Royal
- Anna Devlet, Head of Community, British Land
- Angus Morrogh-Ryan, Director, De Matos Ryan Architects
Sponsors secured to date
ABTT | Aedas Arts Team | Allies and Morrison | Audio Light Systems | BuroHappold | Charcoalblue | Chauvet Professional | EM Acoustics | ETC | GDS | GoboPlus | Harlequin Floors | Haworth Tompkins | Hawthorn | LSI Magazine | Lyric Hammersmith | New Stages Ltd | Northern Light | Page\Park | Philips Entertainment Lighting | Plann | Really Useful Theatres Group | Stage Electrics | Theatre Projects | Triple E | Unusual
Director Jon Morgan introduced the themes running through the conference in an article in Summer 2017 Theatres Magazine Theatres & Placemaking.
Check back regularly as the Programme and Contributors are updated.
Image: Delegates at Conference 16, Alex Brenner, 2016