The Theatres Trust

Pavilion (Torquay)

  • Theatre ID
    1043
  • Built / Converted
    1912
  • Dates of use
    • 1912 - 1976
  • Current state
    Extant
  • Current use
    Converted to other use (shopping arcade)
  • Address
    Vaughan Road, Torquay, Devon, England

Details

The Pavilion was built on a site formed partly of land reclaimed from the sea, on a concrete raft on which a framework of steel stanchions and girders was erected. Henry Augustus Garrett, Borough Engineer of Torbay laid out the Princess Gardens, the Terrace Walk, Pier Pavilion and Torquay Pavilion: the work lasted from 1890-1930. The architect of the Pavilion was Edward Rogers, winner of a competition in 1896, who, with H C Goss drew up the final plans, which were passed in 1903. Because of Rogers’s death construction started only in 1911, the work having been taken over by Garrett. The facing tiles, in Doulton’s Carrara enamelled stoneware made the Pavilion appear like a white Palace. The impressive central copper-covered dome was topped with a life size figure of Britannia. Two smaller domes on each side of the entrance were surmounted by copper figures of Mercury. Fine cast ironwork in Art Nouveau style edged the steps to the promenade deck and the octagonal bandstands or summerhouses. Other exterior decorations were of flowers, urns topped with pineapples, scrolls, etc. Opened in 1912, there was a foyer and auditorium with lounges and cafe, all oak-panelled and elegantly plastered. There was a curved balcony, stained glass and potted palms, with open-air promenade and tea garden. A Municipal Orchestra was founded. In the 1970s, demolition was proposed but the building was listed in 1973. It closed in 1976, when it was leased to Rank and the interior was destroyed in adaptations for various types of amusements including, later, skating. Today it is a shopping arcade, but the exterior is well preserved.


Hide further details

  • Events
    • Owner/Management: Local Council, owners
    • 1896 Design/Construction:
      • designed by Edward Rogers (revised in 1903 with H C Goss) - Architect
    • 1912 - 1976 Use:
    • 1912 Alteration: built to designs of Rogers & Goss
      • H A Garrett - Architect
    • 1931 Alteration: equipped for outside broadcasts
      • Unknown - Architect
    • 1976 Alteration: interior destroyed
      • Unknown - Architect
    • 1976 Owner/Management: Rank, Lessees
  • Capacities
    • Original: 1227
    • Later: 1946: 1227 1972: 1150
  • Listings
    • Grade II
  • Stage type
    • 1976: Rake 1:48
  • Dimensions
    • Building dimensions: Ground area: 19,377 sq ft; Auditorium: 140ft
    • Stage dimensions: 1976 Depth: 27ft Width SL: 26ft SR: 26ft
    • Proscenium width: 28ft 9in x 18ft high
    • Height to grid: 43ft 6in
    • Orchestra pit: Original 25 Dressing rooms: 6 single, 2 chorus

Of the period

Auditorium of Scalebor Park Theatre, Burley-in-Wharfdale, 1998
Scalebor Park Theatre
Burley-in-Wharfdale

Have you seen?

Façade of the Princes (later Shaftesbury) Theatre
Shaftesbury Theatre
London

Protecting theatres for everyone

The National Advisory Public Body for Theatres