- Theatre ID1209
- Built / Converted1873
- Dates of use
- 1873 - 1908
- Current stateDemolished
- Current useDemolished
- AddressGlass Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST1, England
The theatre opened two days after the Church Street Hall closed. It was described as being constructed 'in the theatre shape' and likened to the London Alhambra. There were pit, stage boxes, centre boxes, side boxes and gallery; one entrance for pit and boxes, and another for the gallery. Both entrances from Glass Street opened out between High Street and King Street. The auditorium was lit by a sunlight; extra lights were provided for the orchestra. Stage footlights and lustre gasoliers were in front of the proscenium. The cost was £9,000 including site, and it opened as a variety music hall. In 1887 it was in use as a concert hall, and in 1908 reopened as a skating rink. Demolished 1977.
- Other namesPeoples Music Hall, New Roxy Cinema
- 1873 - 1908 Use:
- 1873 Design/Construction:
- T Rogers (one of the proprietors) - Architect
- 1873 Owner/Management: T Rogers & Warrilow, proprietors
- 1909 Alteration: reopened as Imperial Roller Skating Rink; alterations unspecified (architect unknown).
- 1912 Alteration: alterations, reopened as Imperial Cinema (architect unknown).
- 1961 Alteration: alterations, reopened as Smiths Nightclub (architect unknown).
- 1977 Demolition:
- Original: c.4000
- Grade Not listed
- Stage type
- Stage dimensions: Depth: 26ft Width: 36ft
- Proscenium width: 26ft
- Unreliable anecdotesThere has been confusion between the Glass Street and Church Street Halls, both of which bore the name People’s Hall. Brian Hornsley - 90 Years Cinema in Potteries states they were the same, but they were not.