Empire (Whitley Bay)
- Theatre ID1682
- Built / Converted1910
- Dates of use
- 1910 - 1950:
- Current stateExtant
- Current useDisused (converted to ballroom, then bingo; closed as night club)
- Address35 Esplanade, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear, England
Largely rebuilt in 1923 as the New Empire, only part of the basic structure being retained. The present neo-Adam stuccoed façe dates from the rebuilding. Interior completely gutted for use as ballroom, bingo and later night club. Demolition consent granted in 2008 for a replacement with residential units (although not yet undertaken in December 2008).
- Other namesGaumont, Allesta Ballroom, Sylvester's night club, New Empire
- 1910 - 1950 Use:
- 1910 Design/Construction: (architect unknown).
- 1923 Design/Construction: replaced by New Empire.
- Percy L Browne & Glover - Architect
- Grade Not listed