The Theatres Trust

Palladium (Llandudno)

  • Theatre ID
    209
  • Built / Converted
    1920
  • Current state
    Extant
  • Current use
    Licensed premises (Pub Previously subdivided for cinema and bingo)
  • Address
    Gloddaeth Street, Llandudno, Gwynedd, Wales

Details

Built 1920 but probably designed prior to 1914. Originally with two balconies and boxes, the interior was subdivided but not completely gutted to create a cinema and bingo. Conversion to a Wetherspoons pub resulted in major repairs, removal of subdivisions and restoration of much of the auditorium decoration. A ‘viewing gallery’ has been inserted on the stage. The Palladium has a splendidly robust Edwardian baroque stuccoed façe. The central bay, above the entrance, has giant Ionic demi-columns supporting a triangular rusticated arch and a large oriel window. Symmetrical square flanking towers, with angle pilasters carrying segmental pediments, and surmounted by octagonal domes.


Hide further details

  • Other names
    Palace
  • Events
    • 1920 Design/Construction:
      • A Hewitt - Architect
    • 1957 Owner/Management: Manchester Repertory Company
    • 1962 - 1964 Owner/Management: Llandudno Palladium Ltd
    • 1999 Owner/Management: Wetherspoon plc
    • 2001 Alteration: conversion to pub
      • Unknown - Architect
  • Capacities
    • Later: 1962: 1038
  • Listings
    • Grade II - 6.6.2001

Of the period

Rear Elevation of West Cliff Theatre, Clacton-on-Sea, 1988
Princes (Clacton-on-Sea)
Clacton-on-Sea

Have you seen?

Exterior of The Terry O'Toole Theatre, 2007
The Terry O'Toole Theatre
Lincoln

Protecting theatres for everyone

The National Advisory Public Body for Theatres