The Theatres Trust


  • Theatre ID
  • Built / Converted
  • Current state
  • Current use
  • Address
    Green Lanes, Palmers Green, Enfield, London, N13, England


Opened 24 December 1920 as a cine variety. The front elevation of the building on to Green Lanes was of white ceramic marble and red brickwork with apple green tiles surrounding the entrance. Over the stalls (which seated 1400) were two circles seating 450 each. There were also 14 boxes on each side of the first circle. The stage was fully equipped with fly tower, and the orchestra pit, which housed an organ, was large.

Hide further details

  • Other names
  • Events
    • 1920 Design/Construction:
      • J Stanley Beard - Architect
    • 1929 Owner/Management: control passed to Denman Pictures
    • 1961 Demolition:
  • Capacities
    • Original: 2500
    • Later: 2300 + 14 boxes
  • Listings
    • Grade Not listed
  • Stage type
    • Proscenium, flat
  • Dimensions
    • Orchestra pit: Yes

Of the period

Rear Elevation of The Old Rep Theatre, Birmingham, 1995
Old Rep

Have you seen?

New signage outside the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, January 2011.
Royal Shakespeare Theatre and Swan Theatre

Protecting theatres for everyone

The National Advisory Public Body for Theatres