- Theatre ID3277
- Built / Converted1949
- Dates of use
- 1949 - 1956: as theatre club
- Current stateExtant
- Current useConverted to other use (closed as theatre 1956)
- Address29 Buckingham Street, Westminster, London, WC2N, England
Originally the three cellars at 29 Buckingham Gate formed a Chinese restaurant, which was bombed damaged during WWII. In 1949 Elizabeth Denby, Velona Pilcher and Elizabeth Sprigge converted the space for their theatre club. The space consisted of two club rooms, and a 70 seat theatre, complete with fluorescent lighting. Plans as of 1950 were to increase the seating to 100, and for the plain walls to have murals designed by Chagall (The Dance and the Circus). After Pilcher's death in 1953, Chagall presented his murals to the Tate Gallery, and the theatre was taken over by a new management, the New Watergate Theatre Club. The New Watergate moved to the Comedy Theatre in Panton Street in 1956, having been given notice that Number 29 was due to be demolished as part of the Strand Improvement Scheme. It is not known whether any evidence of the theatre can now be seen.
- Other namesNew Watergate
- Design/Construction: Date and architect of original building unknown.
- 1949 Design/Construction: converted to theatre/club rooms.
- Elizabeth Denby? - Architect
- 1949 - 1956 Use: as theatre club
- Original: 70
- Grade Not listed