The Theatres Trust

Aston Hippodrome

  • Theatre ID
    850
  • Built / Converted
    1908
  • Dates of use
    • 1908 - 1960
  • Current state
    Demolished
  • Current use
    Demolished
  • Address
    Potters Lane off New Town Row, Birmingham, West Midlands, England

Details

Opened as a music hall in 1908. Exterior described as plain terracotta relieved by facings (?) of stone with a cupola on either side; there was an ornamental verandah over the entrance. More than usual headroom between the tiers. The fibrous plaster decorations were probably redesigned when a major reconstruction had to take place in 1930 after a fire. Bingo from 1960, it was demolished in 1980. The Drum now occupies the site.


Hide further details

  • Events
    • Owner/Management: Coventry Hippodrome Ltd, lessees
    • 1908 - 1960 Use:
    • 1908 Design/Construction:
      • F Brassington (also attrib. Lister Lea) - Architect
    • 1908 Owner/Management: Until when not known. Aston Hippodrome Ltd (Thomas Barrasford, managing director)
    • 1912 Alteration: alterations
      • James Lea & Sons - Architect
    • 1930 Alteration: reconstruction after fire
      • Unknown - Architect
    • 1951 Owner/Management: F Butterworth, lessee
    • 1960 - 1980 Owner/Management: Mecca Ltd, owners
    • 1960 Alteration: converted to bingo
      • Unknown - Architect
    • 1960 Alteration: plans to convert to revue bar (unexecuted)
      • Unknown - Architect
    • 1980 Demolition: demolished
  • Capacities
    • Original: 200
    • Later: 1912: 2500
  • Listings
    • Grade Not listed
  • Dimensions
    • Stage dimensions: d: 36ft w: 67ft
    • Proscenium width: 30ft x 32ft high
    • Height to grid: 54ft

Of the period

Exterior of the former Assembly Rooms Theatre, Bromsgrove
Assembly Rooms Theatre (Bromsgrove)
Bromsgrove

Have you seen?

Pros from balcony stage right, Citizens Theatre Glasgow
Citizen's
Glasgow

Protecting theatres for everyone

The National Advisory Public Body for Theatres