The Theatres Trust

Repertory (Colchester)

  • Theatre ID
    99
  • Built / Converted
    1925
  • Dates of use
    • 1925 - 1972
  • Current state
    Façade only
  • Current use
    Converted to other use (Co-operative Bank)
  • Address
    High Street, Colchester, Essex, England

Details

The Corn Exchange was built with a public hall (St George’s Hall) at rear, used as a lecture hall. In 1925, the main space, now known as the Albert Hall, was converted to an assembly room for concerts, etc and art gallery. When Robert Digby founded the local repertory company, the hall was converted to a small theatre, incorporating the rear hall for stage space, etc. This arrangement lasted until 1972 when the Mercury Theatre opened. The building now houses a bank. The façe is in Classical style, single storey with attic. Central bay of three arched entrance doors with two Doric columns between; outer bays, each with tall round-headed window.


Hide all images

001298_small
Façade of the former Corn Exchange, Colchester, 1993
© The Theatres Trust

See all images


Hide further details

  • Other names
    Albert Hall, Corn Exchange Cinema
  • Events
    • Owner/Management: Local authority
    • 1845 Design/Construction: as Corn Exchange
      • Raphael Brandon - Architect
    • 1925 - 1972 Use:
    • 1925 Alteration: converted to assembly hall and art gallery
      • Borough Architect? - Architect
    • 1937 Alteration: Clarke & Beckett, converted to small theatre
      • Duncan - Architect
  • Capacities
    • Later: 1946: 363
  • Listings
    • Grade Not listed
  • Stage type
    • Platform
  • Dimensions
    • Stage dimensions: Depth: 4.57m (15ft)
    • Proscenium width: 6.7m (22ft)

Of the period

Renovation of the Roundhouse, London, from above, c.1967
Roundhouse
London

Have you seen?

Façade of the Old Theatre, Chichester, 2004
Theatre (Chichester)
Chichester

Protecting theatres for everyone

The National Advisory Public Body for Theatres