The Theatres Trust

Phoenix (Ton Pentre)

  • Theatre ID
  • Built / Converted
  • Current state
  • Current use
    Theatre (theatre and cinema)
  • Address
    Pryce Street & Church Road, Ton Pentre, Rhondda Cynon Taff, CF41 7EH, Wales


The hall opened in 1904 and was showing pictures by 1908. It later became a regular cinema. Gables and canted two-storey bays to front, which is in coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Auditorium is a chapel-like rectangular room with panel-fronted balconies on three sides supported on slender cast iron columns. Flat ceiling with brackets at intervals down sides. Square proscenium opening with bracketed corners and moulded architrave. Bethesda Chapel to rear is currently (2004) used for workshops and storage.

Hide further details

  • Other names
    Maindy & Eastern Workmen’s Institute & Hall
  • Events
    • Owner/Management: Rhondda Community Development Association
    • 1904 Design/Construction:
      • Unknown - Architect
  • Capacities
    • Current: c.320
  • Listings
    • Grade II - 23.12.1996
  • Stage type
    • flat with apron

Of the period

Façade of the Astor Theatre, Deal, 1993

Have you seen?

Foyer of the Southport Arts Centre, November 1995
Southport Arts Centre

Protecting theatres for everyone