Theatre Reopening Fund
Grants of up to £5,000 to help not-for-profit theatres across the UK to make Covid-19-related adaptions and prepare for reopening.
In response to the coronavirus crisis, Theatres Trust has repurposed our small grants schemes to support theatres to cover the additional costs of reopening after several months’ closure.
The Theatre Reopening Fund will support building improvements and purchasing equipment that will support the theatre to be able to open viably and safely. It will not cover revenue costs.
Priority will be given to those who demonstrate how the project will support the theatre’s safe reopening.
Works that support a risk-assessed approach to reopening could include:
- alterations to circulation spaces to enable social distancing
- changes to ventilation systems
- purchase and installation of Perspex screens and sanitisation stations
- any other equipment and building improvements that support reopening
The scheme will not fund:
- additional staffing and cleaning costs between performances
- cosmetic redecoration without a clear link to reopening requirements
- reupholstery or replacement of seats without a clear link to reopening requirements
Who can apply
Applications for awards up to £5,000 can be made from theatres across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
To be eligible you must:
- own or manage a theatre building in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Freeholds or leases of at least five years are preferred but applicants are encouraged to get in touch if they have a different tenancy arrangement.
- demonstrate the venue runs a regular theatre programme of professional, community and / or amateur work presenting no less than 30 performances a year
- have a bona fide UK charitable or not-for-profit legal structure and be able to provide certified or audited accounts for at least two years
How to apply
We received a huge response to this scheme and are no longer accepting applications. We will notify applicants about the outcome in the coming weeks.
Thanks to our funders
We are hugely grateful to the generosity of our funders for making this scheme possible:
- The Mackintosh Foundation
- Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation
- Soho Estates
- Charles Michael Holloway Charitable Trust
- The Swire Charitable Trust
- Judy Craymer CBE
- Theatre Royal, Haymarket
- The Pilgrim Trust
- The Foyle Foundation
- Money raised by the Theatre Super Auction